Sunday, April 19, 2009

Cage

It's a well known fact that architects are often misunderstood by their contemporaries.

In 1875, architect Giuseppe Bruni won the tender to design the new town hall.

The new building is made up of a large single body with a tower rising up from the centre (already seen in a previous post).

The Triestines weren't overly keen on the palazzo to begin with, and they came up with some wonderfully original names for it. The most famous, still used today, is Palazzo Cheba (The Cage Palace), as it looks like an enormous bird cage.

6 comments:

Copenhagen said...

What a beautiful palazzo...great design.

crocrodyl said...

But I like it very much! For me it is great piece of architecture! And wonderful photo!

Hilda said...

Now that you mention it, it does, a little… ;)

Very impressive and grand!

amatamari© said...

Bella questa annotazione storica...

:-)

Leah Oppenheimer said...

Dear Rob- I am from Sag Harbor, NY way out on the of Long Island. I was doing some research on Trieste for Yom HaShoah- we had a very elderly lady today talk about her childhood as a hidden child in Trieste to our congregaton. I did a slide show and used your photos of the Risiera San Babbo. My speaker cried, and told me after the talk that she is pretty certain her grandparents and mother perished there.

Thank you for your beautiful and moving work. Leah Oppenheimer

Saretta said...

I think it's a beautiful building!

The comment above is very moving!