It lay on the bottom of the sea in front of the Miramare Castle for more than a quarter of a century. In October 2010 it was retrieved, cleaned up and it is to be placed in the sea once again, further out from the Miramare Marine Reserve this time, so it can finally do what it was designed to do way back in 1984, that is, be a landmark for people who enjoy exploring the depths.
It is a larger version of Tristano Alberti's original statue of Saint Just and it was lowered down into the waters on 3 November 1984, on the initiative of the Giuliano reporters.
Over the years the statue has been forgotten by most people, as it was lying too close to the border of the Miramare Reserve, where nobody was allowed to go, and went unseen for a long time.
San Giusto by the Triestine sculptor Tristano Alberti (1915 – 1976).
Each year the "San Giusto d'Oro", (Golden Saint Just statue) is awarded by the Friuli Venezia Giulia reporters to a person or company in recognition of work that has held high the name of the city of Trieste. The statue is made to the design of Alberti's original work. In 2010 the San Giusto d'Oro was awarded to illycaffè.